Thursday, February 03, 2005

I overheard.......

 

…….a conversation today that made me think.  The only voice I heard was that of a young lady. I’d say about 25 years old.  She was commenting on Bush’s State of the Union speech last night.  She started off by saying “I am a liberal, I am about as extreme a liberal as you can get.”  “I mean I just hate Bush.” “I watched the speech last night just to count the number of times he would stutter.”  She went on and on, but she just kept re-stating that she hated Bush.  I just sat and thought about my blog entry a few days ago where I talked about a party in decline.  This young lady had no desire to talk about issues and ideals.  You could just tell she had a “hate” within her that I thought would not quit.  Her attitude of hate is why the liberals will not gain more power than they already have.  Hate doesn’t win elections, and you have to win elections to set policy.  Being a conservative, I quietly hope the liberals never quit hating like that, but the thinker in me hopes that they will actually enter into fruitful debate.  Maybe then we can all come up with lasting solutions to our problems.  I finally had to say something, so I turned to her, extended my hand, and said “I am your political antithesis, I hope we can still be friends.”  She shook my hand and smiled, but it wasn’t genuine.  That’s too bad.

No comments: