Tuesday, February 08, 2005

US citizens want to move to the Great White North

According to the New York Times, there are over 18,000 US citizens trying to move to Canada because of the election results that kept President Bush in the White House, and gave him an even larger majority in both houses of Congress.  I say good riddance.  Don’t these people realize that if they move, and hopefully give up their citizenship, they won’t have a say in the future of our government.  Maybe that’s the point.  They will live else where, but still vote.  I sure hope they enjoy Canada.  It seems to me to be a very scenic country, with lots of hockey.  It can’t be all that bad, even if it does take a week or so to see a doctor if you have strep throat.

 

Maybe Barbara Streisand will throw a benefit concert to help all of these disgruntled liberals with their moving expenses.  Maybe she will go too….Maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

 

But seriously….Am I the only one who thinks that if these people were truly patriotic, they would stay I their country and try to help keep the country on the track they think is the correct direction. Not that I will miss these people who want to move, but they would better serve OUR country by staying.

2 comments:

tattytiara said...

I appreciate how you feel about people expatriating themselves and don't intend to argue what I perceive to be your main point. I am Canadian, though, and I just have to say something for the record.

Yours is not the first American blog I've come across that mentions how incredibly long we Canadians have to wait for medical treatment. I'm sure there must be statistics out there backing up the claims for them to be so prevalent, but I haven't read them. All I know is I've lived here all my life and of course known people who've received medical attention for everything from the common to the rare to the fatal, and I've never known that to be the case, here in Alberta or elsewhere.

If I want to see a doctor I can call today and get an appointment tomorrow, or just head to any walk in clinic right away if I'm not fussy about who I see. Like any citizens of any country we complain loudly about everything we see as wrong with it. While I'm sure there are instances of unjustifiable wait periods, I have never heard anyone complain about a lengthy wait to receive medical attention. Ever. That would be really odd if it were really an epidemic problem.

Seriously, one thing no Canadian ever wants to give up is their Health Care. I'm sure it's not perfect, but we not only like the system, it's a major point of national pride. It works.

...and of course it's my patriotic duty to point out that there hasn't been any NHL action for a looooong time up here. :)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Pink on this. I am also a Canadian and I have never been forced to wait for a long period of time to receive medical treatment. The only time I've ever had to wait to get in to see my doctor was when it was my choice -- when my schedule was full and I wasn't able to get in at the next available appointment.

With that said, our health care system is hardly perfect. And we're more than willing to admit that. But it's free. Every citizen in our country is able to go to a doctor and seek medical attention at any time and they never have to worry about how to pay for the medical bills afterwards. I know I wouldn't trade that for anything.

I know it's a stupid thing to comment on, but this is not the first blog that I have read lately that has made mention of Canada's "long waits for medical treatment" and I'm not sure where that idea is coming from. So I thought I would do my part to correct the misconception.