Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Semper Fi

Today's helicopter crash saddens my heart. Those are my brothers in the desert over there, and some won't be coming home. Everytime I hear of a death in that sandbox it brings a tear to my eye. Everytime it is a Marine it hits me harder. That's part of the Esprit de Corps that the Marine Corps instills in every new recruit. As a former helicopter aircrewman myself, helicopter crashes hit me harder again. Even though I have been out of the Marines for several years now, I still have friends on active duty, one that I know of is in Iraq as I write this. I pray that he is not involved in these crashes everytime I hear of one. I know he was not involved in this CH-53 accident, but that does not make me feel any better for the families of those who were lost. 31 confirmed dead.

This is a necessary war. Iraq is only a battle in the overall war on terrorism. I know that we are doing good by engaging the terrorist on their turf instead of fighting a defensive battle here. Iraq has created a "heat sink" for terrorist. It is a good place to try and collect them all in one spot.

The young men that died this morning were doing their countries dirty work so the rest of us can stay as free and safe as possible. Some were just looking for a job, but the Marines tend to attract young men and women who have a sense of duty to their country, their family, and their God. They died for all Americans so we can stay safe, so we can stay free, so we can do what ever we want within the scope of the law. It was their chosen job to say, "you can sleep good tonight because I am here doing what most of you don't want to".

For every Marine, soldier, sailor, and airman in the desert: there are many more around the world doing lower profile, but no less important work for us. During peacetime in the late 1990's, I attended a hockey game. During the national anthem before the game, It occurred to me that there were thousands of America's young on a ship somewhere in the middle of an ocean, having the time of their lives, or bored stiff, or scared out of their wits, doing a job for us. My heart goes out to them. I used to be "them". I sure appreciate them.

Say a prayer for the families of those who have left us, and another for those who still protect us.

God Bless, Godspeed, and Semper Fi.


No comments: